Our 10 year Build-Zone Structural Warranty product will protect your completed home against a defect in the design, workmanship or materials.


Self-build Site Insurance is essential for anyone planning an Extension, Renovation, Conversion or New Build.


A contract is the glue that seals the relationship between a client and their contractor, consultant or supplier and is crucial for your project.

How to navigate the building regulations

Self-builds and major renovations must comply with basic safety and efficiency standards. Andy Butchers gives his top tips on how to ensure you get the requisite approvals in place.

The Building Regulations are minimum standards governing the design, construction and alteration of virtually any type of structure – whether new-build, renovation, domestic, commercial or
otherwise. The regs are administered by building control bodies, which could be the local authority or a private-sector approved inspector, licensed by the Construction Industry Council.

They first came about after the Great Fire of London with a view to improving fire safety in the capital. They have been repeatedly updated since. National standards were first published in 1965.
The Building Act 1984 then went on to introduce Approved Documents (which set out routes to compliance), while the current Building Regulations came about in 2010, with subsequent tweaks. Read more ›

Posted in Site Insurance Tagged with: , , , , ,

Self-Build Zone exhibiting at Homebuilding & Renovating Show Harrogate in November


Self-build specialists, renovation experts and leading brands are all under one roof at the National Homebuilding & Renovating Show in November. Self-Build Zone Insurance are pleased to announce that they will be exhibiting once again, sharing their knowledge and expertise on insurance for your project.

Whether you are mid-way through a project or don’t know where to start, the Homebuilding & Renovating Show is brimming with bright ideas. This show will ensure that you can get face-to-face consultations, specialist Masterclasses and hundreds of products – all under one roof.

Building or creating a home, either from scratch or as a conversion or renovation project can be one of the most rewarding challenges of your life. The type of project you are embarking on will invariably involve a significant amount of investment, so ensuring you have the correct level of cover in place is essential. Read more ›

Posted in Self Build Zone News Tagged with: , , ,

A busy month for Construction and Property in the UK

The Self-Build Zone and Build Zone teams have had a jam-packed October, visiting shows across the country. We have had representatives present at some of our favourite shows this month and would like to encourage our readers to remember to add them to your diary next year!

construction shows

We kicked October off with UK Construction Week, UK Construction Week is the UK’s largest construction trade event. It took place at the Birmingham NEC from 10 -12th October 2017. This event unites over 650 exhibitors with an audience of over 35,000 trade visitors.

UK Construction Week celebrates an exciting and dynamic industry, offering visitors and exhibitors a place to network, debate and discover innovation.

The show was created by close collaboration with partners and stakeholders, and tackles some of the key issues facing the construction industry. Anyone in construction, whether Contractors, Clients, Architects, Manufacturers, SME’s, and Developers, has a shared interest in growing such a vital sector to the economy, and that can only happen through partnership, and by coming together. Make sure you book your space for 2018 by visiting their website here. Read more ›

Posted in Self Build Zone News Tagged with: , , , ,

Security for outbuildings during a Self-Build Project

While household crime is decreasing, thefts from gardens and outbuildings is unfortunately on the rise. Whether you have a greenhouse, garden shed, workshop or any other kind of outbuilding, our handy tips will help you improve security and protect your property from crime.

building site security

Security for outbuilding entrances and property boundaries

  • Check for damage to walls, hedges and fences and repair as soon as possible
  • Fit a good quality alarm to your outbuilding and test them regularly
  • If appropriate, consider installing CCTV, especially if you are often away
  • Choose external doors that are at least 44m thick with securely-fixed frames
  • Ensure the boundary at the back of your property is at least two metres high
  • Optimise security on fences by using anti-climb paint or a ‘prickler’ strip along the top. Anti-climb paint does not dry and will stain materials it encounters. A sign stating usage acts as a further deterrent and will help ensure you meet your duty of care
  • Using gravel on your driveway or installing a driveway alarm are good ideas for alerting you to unexpected visitors. You could also consider motion sensor lights though make sure your security isn’t at the expense of your neighbour’s retinas, or patience!
  • If you have access points that are not regularly used, plant a tree, place a bollard or block in the gap.

Read more ›

Posted in Self Build Zone News Tagged with: , , ,

New Self-Build Planning Guidance

The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has released fresh Planning Practice Guidance (PPG) to trigger a change in the way local authorities plan for self and custom build housing.


The introduction of the Right to Build in 2016, via the Housing and Planning Act, saw councils have a duty to keep a register of people wanting to build their own homes and then provide sufficient serviced plots to meet that demand within three years.

The National Custom and Self Build Association (NaCSBA) announced last year that over 18,000 individuals had signed up to local registers (a figure that will have increased significantly since), showing that there is significant interest in self and custom build. This enthusiasm isn’t mirrored by the 8% of new homes that the sector currently delivers in the UK.

The updated PPG seeks to clarify the Housing and Planning Act’s definition of self and custom build as schemes where the initial owner of the home will have primary input into its final design and layout. ‘Councils have been asking exactly what both self-build and custom build are. This definition means game-playing by developers can be avoided. They can’t just argue that an off-plan sale is self-build’, says Mario Wolf, director of NaCSB’s expert task force.

The guidance also sheds light on what qualifies a site as a serviced plot, an area of the Right to Build scheme that was, until now, vaguely defined. Read more ›

Posted in Self Build Zone News Tagged with: , , , ,

Sign up to receive Self-Build Zone news by email!

* indicates required

Call the Self-Build Zone Team on

0345 230 9874

Building in Ireland?