Yes, you can still apply for your warranty even though your home is now completed. All you need to do is have a completed housing survey carried out.
The Build-Zone 10 Year Structural Warranty is a re-branded version of the Self-Build Zone Warranty and provides a much better alternative to Architect’s Certification and is similar to NHBC and other Structural Warranty products. It is specifically designed for New Build, Conversions, Extensions and Completed Properties and is backed by Lloyd’s of London. Build-Zone is constantly going through the process of Lender approval.
The Build-Zone Warranty has been specifically designed with you in mind, as we know the problems you can face and the speed with which you want to get moving and resolve problems.
For a typical project there are two options available: – 1. ‘With Building Control’ or 2. ‘Without Building Control’.
With Building Control
Many people are unaware that you do not need to use your Local Authority Building Control
Body to obtain Building Regulation approval or carry out Building Control inspections. We can arrange this for you through an independent network of ‘partnered’ Approved Inspectors.
This has many advantages:-
- From Initial Notification, we can normally have a surveyor to site within 5 working days.
- After Initial Notification, your nominated surveyor can be on site within 2 working days.
- You will have a nominated surveyor looking after your project from start to finish and will enable open communication.
- A formal Plan Check is carried out along with checking calculations. Should any problems arise, they will be highlighted in a report.
- The surveyors are highly qualified and experienced individuals used to working with Self Build projects.
- By combining Building Control with our Technical Audit inspections, you will save money.
- Improved Risk Management.
Without Building Control
If you have already made your building regulation application to the Local Authority, then you will need to request a Warranty ‘without Building Control’. We then arrange for a suitable schedule of Technical Audits to be carried out during the project’s duration alongside the Local Authority Building Control inspector. Please note, you will still need to allow us a minimum 5 days’ notice from initial notification.
Why do I need a Structural Warranty?
Apart from the peace of mind you gain by having the Build-Zone Structural Warranty, most Lenders will probably require a warranty as part of the lending criteria. Also, if your circumstances change and you need to sell the property in the next 10 years you will find it likely that your prospective purchaser’s Lender will require a structural warranty on the property before releasing any money.
Do not rely on an Architect’s Certificate as this will only provide cover in the event of you are able to establish negligence by the architect, which will be covered under their Professional Indemnity Insurance, but only for a period of 6 years, and it will not cover workmanship or defective materials. The Build-Zone Warranty applies for a period of 10 years and will respond straight away as a ‘prime’ policy and the insurers will then take on recovery action against those responsible.
Summary of Cover
The Insurers will indemnify the Policyholder against claims discovered and notified to the Underwriter during the Period of Insurance in respect of :-
1) The cost of complete or partial rebuilding or rectifying work to the Housing Unit which has been affected by Major Damage attributable to a Defect in the design, workmanship or materials, provided always that the liability of the Insurers does not exceed the reasonable cost of rebuilding each Housing Unit to its original specification.
2) The cost of making good any Defect in the design, workmanship or material in the drainage system which was newly constructed by the Builder in connection with the Housing Unit and for which the Policyholder is responsible.
3) The necessary and reasonable costs incurred in repairing, replacing or rectifying any part of the Waterproof Envelope within the Housing Unit as a result of ingress of water caused by a Defect in the design, workmanship, materials or components or the waterproofing elements of the Housing Unit.
4) The cost of repairing or making good any Defects in the chimneys and flues of the Housing Unit causing an imminent danger to the health and safety of occupants.
The Site Audit Surveyors
An independent network of Approved Inspectors (all qualified and with many years’ experience) are used to carry out Surveys/Audits and condition surveys.
In most cases, you will find that the Build-Zone Structural Warranty is more competitive than NHBC or other providers whilst giving an equivalent level of cover and recognition by Lenders.
To find out more about self-build site insurance, email email@example.com or visit www.selfbuildzone.com or www.build-zone.com . Alternatively, to discuss your project requirements, call the team on 0345 230 8974